04 Dec Winter Harvest Casserole
Winter Harvest Casserole
- 3 T. olive oil
- 1 lb. parsnips (potatoes, carrots, or turnips)
- 1 T. fresh or 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 c. Half and Half (milk, or yogurt (thinned))
- 1 lb. tomatoes (thinly sliced)
- 1 T. fresh or 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 1/2 c. grated cheddar or mozzarella
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice parsnips into 1/4 inch slices.
- If slices are really large, cut in half.
- Cook in skillet with oil, thyme, and sugar for about 5-7 minutes, until golden brown and softened.
- Grease a small casserole or baking pan.
- Spread half the parsnips over the bottom of the dish. Put half the tomatoes in the next layer.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Add another layer of parsnips and tomatoes, then the rest of the cheese.
- Mix oregano with milk or thinned yogurt and pour over dish.
- Cover with lid or foil and bake about 40 minutes until tender.
- Remove lid and brown a few more minutes.
Potassium: 328 mg
Phosphorus: 155 mg
Adapted from Northwest Kidney Centers