29 Sep Strawberry Ribbon Pie
Strawberry Ribbon Pie
Light and delicious diabetic desert
- 3/4 c. finely crushed graham crackers (11 crackers)
- 2 T. margarine (melted)
- 2 env. low calorie strawberry flavored gelatin
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 2 c. fresh or frozen whole unsweetened strawberries (thawed)
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- Combine graham cracker crumbs and margarine.
- Press mixture firmly into a 9-inch pie plate. Chill.
- Dissolve gelatin in 2 cups boiling water; add lemon juice.
- Measure 1/2 cup of gelatin mixture; stir in 1/2 cup cold water.
- Chill till partially set (consistency of unbeaten egg whites).
- Turn into chilled graham cracker crust; chill till almost firm.
- To remaining gelatin mixture add 1/2 cup cold water and chill till partially set. Reserve a few strawberries for garnish.
- Sieve remaining strawberries; fold into partially set gelatin.
- In small mixer bowl beat egg whites with cream of tartar till stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold egg whites into partially set gelatin mixture.
- Fold in 3/4 cup of whipped topping (refrigerate remaining topping). If necessary, chill strawberry mixture till it mounds.
- Pile strawberry mixture atop first layer in crust.
- Chill till firm. Garnish with reserved strawberries.
Adapted from DCi – Big Sky