12 Sep Rice Pilaf
An alternative to potatoes
- 1 c. white rice (I prefer Jasmine)
- 1/4 c. wild rice
- 1/4 c. orzo pasta
- 2 T unsalted butter (or olive oil)
- 1/2 c. chopped onions
- 1-2 cloves of garlic – minced
- 2 T. fresh parsley (chopped fine)
- 3 c. low sodium chicken stock or broth
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a sauce pan, heat chicken stock to boiling.
- In a frying pan, sauté onions and garlic in butter slowly until they begin to caramelize.
- Add orzo and continue to sauté until the orzo begins to brown.
- In a 1 1.5-2 quart casserole, mix the rices, onions, garlic, orzo and parsley together.
- Carefully add the boiling stocks and pepper (optional).
- Cover and bake for 1/2 hour or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff with a fork and serve.