17 Sep Homemade Creamy-Chunky Tomato Soup
Homemade Creamy-Chunky Tomato Soup
Tasty homemade creamy-chunky tomato soup
- 28 oz. Red Gold diced tomatoes
- 3 T. butter
- 4 T. olive oil
- 1/3 c. finely diced carrots
- 1/3 c. finely diced celery
- 1 small yellow onion (finely diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 c. low sodium vegetable or low sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 c. heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Drain tomatoes and reserve the juice.
- Place tomatoes on large sheet pan covered with foil, spray the foil with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the tomatoes with onion powder, garlic powder, basil and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Put in oven for 10-15 minutes to caramelize. Stir several times to keep tomatoes from burning.
- Heat a large sauce pan over medium-high heat and add butter, 1 tablespoon olive oil, celery, carrots, onions, and garlic.
- Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until slightly tender. Stir occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, vegetable broth, juice from canned tomatoes and bay leaf.
- Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until vegetables are cooked.
- Remove from heat and add heavy cream, stir.
- Return to heat and cook until thoroughly heated.
Soup will be chunky. If you prefer smooth soup, place soup in a blender and pulse to puree.
Adapted from Homemade