04 Dec Green Bean Casserole with Fried Shallots
Green Bean Casserole with Fried Shallots
- 5 c. Fresh Green Beans
- 1/2 package sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 Sweet onion
- 1/4 c. butter
- 3 T. all-purpose flour
- 3 clove garlic
- 1/2 c. dry white wine
- 1 c. half-and-half
- 1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 T. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. Freshly ground pepper
- 3 T. panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 c. shallots (chopped)
- 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
- vegetable oil
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook green beans in boiling salted water to cover in a Dutch oven 4 to 5 minutes or to desired degree of doneness; drain. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain and pat dry.
- Sauté mushrooms and onion in melted butter in Dutch oven over medium heat 10 minutes or until golden; whisk in flour and garlic and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in wine and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Whisk in half-and-half and cook, whisking constantly, 3 to 4 minutes or until sauce is thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat, and whisk in 1/3 cup cheese and next 3 ingredients.
- Fold green beans into sauce. Place in a lightly greased 2 1/2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan and panko over green bean mixture. Top with Fried Shallots.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Serve immediately.
- For the Fried Shallots: Separate 4 large sliced shallots into rings. Toss in all-purpose flour. Pour vegetable oil to depth of 1 inch in a medium saucepan; heat to 350 degrees F. Fry shallots, in batches, 3 to 4 minutes or until crispy and just golden. Drain on paper towels; season with salt and pepper to taste.
Potassium: 269 mg
Phosphorus: 103 mg
Adapted from Revised by Marianne Meyer, RD, LD