11 Sep Fried Yellow Squash Cakes
Fried Yellow Squash Cakes
A tasty addition to a light meal
- 1 cup yellow summer squash
- 1 egg (well beaten)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour (to reduce sodium, use plain flour)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Wash squash and cut into pieces.
- Cook in 2 cups water until tender. Drain well and mash.
- Chop onion. Add chopped onion, well beaten egg, black pepper, and flour to mashed yellow squash. Mix well.
- Heat canola oil in a skillet on medium heat.
- Use a teaspoon to drop small amounts of the squash mixture into the hot oil.
- Brown on one side; then turn with a spatula and brown the other side.
- When browned remove from the skillet and drain on paper towel.
Southern-style variation: use 1/4 cup plain
cornmeal and 1/4 cup plain flour instead of
using flour only.