24 Nov Cranberry Soda Bread
Cranberry Soda Bread
An Irish bread with a New England twist
- 1 lb. plain or all purpose flour
- 1 oz. sugar
- 1 tsp. level soda or baking soda
- 1 – 2 oz. cranberries
- 14 oz. buttermilk
- Mix flour, sugar, baking soda and cranberries in a bowl.
- Slowly add the buttermilk and mix well to form dough.
- Shape it into a mound in a greased 1lb loaf tin or pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes in a preheated oven at 375°F.
- Lower the heat to 325°F and continue to bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place the loaf on a wire rack to cool.
- Slice and serve with butter.
The loaf should sound hollow when it is turned out of the tin and tapped on the bottom. If in doubt, turn upside down and continue baking an additional 10 minutes.
Adapted from Avoca Cafe Cookbook