02 Sep Caramel Rolls
Sweet tasty breakfast delight
SWEET ROLL DOUGH
- 2 c. flour
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 1 c. skim milk
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 3 T. margarine
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 egg whites
- 2 – 2 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
- 3 T margarine
- 2 T light corn syrup
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 T. margarine melted
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together 2 cups flour and yeast and set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, combine milk, sugar, margarine, and salt.
- Heat and stir over low heat just to warm and margarine almost melts. Add to flour mixture.
- Add egg whites.
- Beat with electric mixture on low to medium speed for 30 second, scrape bowl.
- Beat on high speed for 30 minutes or more.
- Using a spoon, stir in as much of the 2 – 2 1/2 cups of flour as you can.
- On a floured surface, knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic, 3 to 5 minutes total.
- Shape into a ball.
- Spray a large bowl with nonstick spray coating.
- Place dough in a bowl; turn once.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size about one hour.
- Punch dough down, turn out onto lightly floured surface.
- Divide dough in half.
- Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- While dough is rising, in a small saucepan combine brown sugar, 3 T. margarine, and corn syrup.
- Cook and stir until margarine is melted and mixture is combined.
- Divide between two 9 inch round pans
- Spread over bottom of pans; set aside pans.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll half of the sweet roll dough into 12 x 8 inch triangle.
- Brush with melted margarine; sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- Roll up in a jelly roll style starting from one of the long sides. Pinch seams together to seal.
- Cut roll into 12 pieces.
- Place cut side down into the prepared pans.
- Repeat with other half of dough.
- Cover with clean dish towel and let rise to double in size about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Puncture any surface bubbles with greased wooden toothpick.
- Bake in 375°F oven for 20-15 minutes or until roll sound hollow when tapped lightly.
- Invert rolls onto serving platters.
Adapted from DCi – Big Sky