02 Sep Baked Apples
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 4 small cooking apples- Roma or McIntosh varieties
- 1 T. finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon or apple pie spice
- 4 whole cinnamon sticks (optional)
- 1/3 c. sugar free maple flavor syrup
- 2 T. water
- 1 T. sugar free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 c. almond milk or rice milk (unfortified)
- 1 T. vanilla
- 3/4 tsp. cinnamon or apple pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray bottom of an 8 x 8 baking pan well with cooking spray.
- Peel a small strip of skin from middle of each apple and discard skin.
- Core apples tops, leaving bottom 1/4 to 1/3 of core in place.
- Place apples in baking dish.
- In a small bowl combine pecans, cinnamon or apple pie spice.
- Pack even amounts of spice mixture into apple cores.
- If using, place a cinnamon stick into each apple core with the spices.
- Combine sugar free syrup and water, whisk together and pour over apples.
- Cover pan with foil and bake for 30-35 minutes until apples are tender.
- Baste apples with sauce every 5-10 minutes while cooking.
- In a small bowl, combine almond or rice milk, vanilla, cinnamon or apple pie spice, and vanilla pudding mix.
- Whisk/ stir vigorously and put in airtight container.
- Chill until ready to use.