04 Dec Winter Harvest Casserole
Winter Harvest Casserole
- 3 T. olive oil
- 1 lb. parsnips potatoes, carrots, or turnips
- 1 T. fresh or 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 c. Half and Half milk, or yogurt (thinned)
- 1 lb. tomatoes thinly sliced
- 1 T. fresh or 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 1/2 c. grated cheddar or mozzarella
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Slice parsnips into 1/4 inch slices.
If slices are really large, cut in half.
Cook in skillet with oil, thyme, and sugar for about 5-7 minutes, until golden brown and softened.
Grease a small casserole or baking pan.
Spread half the parsnips over the bottom of the dish. Put half the tomatoes in the next layer.
Sprinkle with cheese.
Add another layer of parsnips and tomatoes, then the rest of the cheese.
Mix oregano with milk or thinned yogurt and pour over dish.
Cover with lid or foil and bake about 40 minutes until tender.
Remove lid and brown a few more minutes.
Potassium: 328 mg
Phosphorus: 155 mg
Adapted from Northwest Kidney Centers