11 Sep Fried Yellow Squash Cakes
Fried Yellow Squash Cakes
A tasty addition to a light meal
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 63
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 7g
Saturated Fat 1g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrates 4g
Dietary Fiber 0g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1 cup yellow summer squash
- 1 egg (well beaten)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour (to reduce sodium, use plain flour)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Wash squash and cut into pieces.
- Cook in 2 cups water until tender. Drain well and mash.
- Chop onion. Add chopped onion, well beaten egg, black pepper, and flour to mashed yellow squash. Mix well.
- Heat canola oil in a skillet on medium heat.
- Use a teaspoon to drop small amounts of the squash mixture into the hot oil.
- Brown on one side; then turn with a spatula and brown the other side.
- When browned remove from the skillet and drain on paper towel.
- Southern-style variation: use 1/4 cup plain
- cornmeal and 1/4 cup plain flour instead of
- using flour only.
- Potassium: 37
- Sodium: 54
- Phosphorus: 15
Dialysis Clinic, Inc. http://www.dciinc.org/